What's New in Music Theory? August 2021
2021.08.02 12:14 nmitchell076 What's New in Music Theory? August 2021
What's New In Music Theory? August 2021
Welcome to the August edition of musictheory
's "What's New in Music Theory?" megathread, a monthly digest of the latest publications, videos, conferences, and other resources from the wide world of music theory.
Have more to add? Let us know in the comments!
- Braae, Nick. Rock and Rhapsodies: The Music of Queen. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bullock, Philip Ross and Laura Turnbridge (eds.). Song Beyond the Nation: Translation, Transnationalism, Performance. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Featuring the following contributions:
- Loges, “Hafiz between Nations: Song Settings by DaumeBrahms and Peacock/Beamish”
- Downes, “Szymanowski, a Hafiz 'Grablied', and the 'translation' of Nietzsche”
- Bullock, “The German Roots of Russian Orientalism: Hafiz's Poetry in Early Twentieth-Century Russian Song”
- Clark, “Traces of Tourism and Transnationalism in Liszt's Heine Settings”
- Binder, “Performance Matters in Heine: The Case of Pauline Viardot's 'Das ist ein schlechtes Wetter'”
- Turnbridge, “'Once again...speaking of' Heine, in Song”
- Dayan, “Why song in Verlaine's Verse is Always Already Beyond the Nation”
- Evans, “French Impressions: The Transnational Afterlives of Verlaine's 'La Lune blanche' in Song”
- Caballero, “Paul Verlaine in Parallel: Loeffler, Fauré, Debussy”
- Abbot, “Song Just Beyond the Nation, or Debussy via Verlaine”
- Ronyak, “Johanna Müller-Hermann's Lied der Erinnerung: Austria, America, and Beyond”
- Kramer, “The Émigré Walt Whitman: Songs of Mourning, 1943-48”
- Helsinger, “A Song, the Sea, and a Listening Boy: Whitman - Swinburne - Delius, Elizabeth Helsinger”
- Sutton, “Whitman and Stevenson: Singing the Nation from Scotland to Samoa via Ohio and Hawai'i”
- Kuhn, Will and Ethan Hein. Electronic Music School: A Contemporary Approach to Teaching Musical Creativity. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Momii, Toru. "Music Analysis and the Politics of Knowledge Production: Interculturality in the Music of Honjoh Hidejirō, Miyata Mayumi, and Mitski." PhD diss., Columbia University.
- Paranj, Shahab. “The Concept and Organization of the Rhythm in Persian Āvāzi-Sytle Music.” PhD diss., University of California, Los Angeles.
- Prosser, Simon Kenneth Scott. “A Schema-Theoretic Approach to Hierarchy in Eighteenth-Century Tonality.” PhD diss., City University of New York.
- Weinstein-Reiman, Michael. “Touch and Modernity in French Keyboard Pedagogy, 1715–1915.” PhD diss., Columbia University.
New Journals & Other Scholarly Publications
- Music Theory and Analysis 8 no. 1. Featuring the following articles:
- MacKay, “The Second Repeat in Beethoven's Sonata-Form Movements: Tonal, Formal and Motivic Strategies.”
- Boyd, “Metrical Ambiguity in the Scherzo of Brahms's String Sextet, Op. 18.”
- Curtice and Carlisi, “A Newly Discovered Annotated Partimento Manuscript: ‘Rudimenti di Musica per Accompagnare del Sig. r Maestro Vignali’ (1789).”
- Koslovsky, “Tristan und Isolde at the Margins of Music-Analytical Discourse: A Dialogic Perspective.”
- Burstein, “Abwesenheit and Anwesenheit in Beethoven's Op. 81a.”
- Rehding, “Grieg's Sonic Afterimages.”
- Mutch, “Canons and Contestable Cadences in Brahms's Op. 118 No. 4.”
- Van Dyck, “A Multi-Layered Monolith: Beyond the Surface of Loudness in Galina Ustvolskaya's Sixth Piano Sonata.”
- Musica Theorica 5 no. 2. Featuring the following articles::
- Almada, “A Theory for Parsimonious Voice-Leading Classes.”
- Hatten, Pascoal, Gerling, Pereira, Neto, de Barros, and Salles, “A Conversation with Robert Hatten about A Theory of Virtual Agency for Western Art Music.”
- Neto, Tavares, da Silva, and Caum e Silva, “É assim, porque é assim que tem que ser: a retórica galante nos motetes de José Maurício, observada no uso da pedagogia dos partimenti, da gramática das schemata e da oratória musical.”
- de Souza and Fujioka, “Narrative Strategies and Sound Space in Nau dos Insensatos by Conrado Silva at the XXth São Paulo Art Biennial.”
- Dudeque, “Anotações sobre forma musical e três técnicas motívicotemáticas de Schoenberg, desdobramento motívico, variação progressiva e prosa musical”
- Rossi and Moreira, “Mapeamento de derivações por variáveis sintéticas na Peça para dois minutos de Guerra-Peixe.”
- Pupia, “Gestos Conclusivos na Sinfonia n. 8 (1950) de Heitor Villa-Lobos Adailton Sergio Pupia”
- Carro, “Schubert’s Experiments with Processual Form.”
- Caznok, “A Fantasia Cromática, BWV 903, de J. S. Bach.”
- SMT-V 7.5. Birson and Erdoğdular, “Understanding Turkish Classical Makam: Identifying Modes Through Characteristic Melodies.”
Blogs and Other Publications
[What's New in Theory Archive
submitted by nmitchell076
to musictheory [link] [comments]